Tuesday, September 8, 2009

she's here!!!!!

cute little sophie arrived at 5:51 tuesday morning! here is a short version of the story.... i went into labor on labor day woo hoo! we were at ashton's brother's house watching a movie when i thought it felt interesting down there so i went to the bathroom and my pants were a little bit wet, but i wasn't too worried about it. nothing hurt or anything. then we went home and water kept coming out, but just a little bit at a time. ashton said WE ARE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL TO GET CHECKED. so i wasn't in any hurry, i farted around a bit, packed a bag, and even tidied up the house! we got to the hospital at about 11 pm and sure enough my water had broke! wow! i wasn't even having strong contractions or anything! they had to start pitocin at midnight to induce me and by about three am i was ready for my epidural! ouch! they say labor hurts, but i wasn't expecting that! let me say if you don't get an epidural you are either really amazing or crazy. by three am i was dilated to six, but my epidural was not working. i thought i was going to die. the anexthesiologist wouldn't up my dosage because he said i was too little. so i just kept pushing the button for more on my own. my epidural did not fully kick in for two hours! about 4 am the nurse checked my cervix and i was dilated to a ten! she could not believe it. i went from 3 cm to ten in two hours! but (i am probably the only laboring girl that would say this) i was not happy to hear i was at a ten i wasn't ready to push yet! so they had me push for about an hour to try to get the head down low enough then they made me stop pushing until the doctor got there. when she got there it was only two pushes and she was out! let me tell you, feeling a baby slop out of your belly is THE WIERDEST sensation in the world. one second my belly was full and the next it was empty. i did not feel any pain though. after she was out i was so wrapped up in her that i failed to look down and notice the doctor had been giving me stitches for about 20 min. yup i ripped all the way through and i'm feeling it now! i guess the rate "rippage" on a scale from one to four and i was a three so it was pretty bad. anyways as you mothers know giving birth is a crazy amazing experience and it all still feels like a dream. i can't even believe this baby is mine. i have only slept for a total of about five hours since tuesday and i am so tired. but it's worth it!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

congratulations!!! Sorry about the stitches. It usually goes better the second time around. Take it easy, when you have stitches it takes a lot longer to feel "normal".

The Calico Crew said...

Congrats Nikell--and Ashton! I'm glad she's finally here. Enjoy all the sleeping moments Sophie has because your first baby is the only one you REALLY get to nap with!

Hadley's said...

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!! I hope we will get to see her sometime soon.

Adri Jo said...

YAHOO! Contgratz!! Can't wait to see pics of your lil bundle of joy :-)

Jewels said...

YAY!!! Congrats you two!!! Post pictures asap!!!

I completely agree with the sleep as much as you can now with one, cause as soon as two comes around...sleeping is kinda non-existent! :) TRUST ME!