Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What to do?

So this is my venting blog. I am so confused right now. I am done with school in a week, and I'm so sad. As a lot of you know I didn't get this Biology Degree with a particular plan in mind and now it's coming back to bite me in the butt. I got this degree because a love school and LOVE Biology a lot! I'm a science geek to the core. With me graduating in a week and still jobless I'm starting for freak out. I have a lot of options, all of which have pros and cons. Do I want to continue my education since I love it so much and it's not hard for me while the economy is bad anyway? (but I can't move away from St. George and my family I'd be so sad) Do I want to get a job at a doctor's office so I can apply for PA school? (Kids would be out of the question for three more years and Ashton is getting old :) Do I want to do two more semesters of education classes and be a teacher so I can talk about science everyday for the rest of my life? (One problem is that I can't stand high school and middle school aged kids blah). I would LOVE to work outside for the BLM or Forest Service, but currently the economy is causing people to be laid off from those. Do I wait two years for Dixie to get a Medical Technologist program??? I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO. I have self-diagnosed decision making anxiety, and I've been that way my whole life! I've talked to a thousand different people including a lady high up at the BLM, the supervisor over the hospital labs, I'm going to meet with the lady in charge of the whole hospital and a man from the forest service, and so far no luck! I did not go to school for five years to work at freakin Village Inn, I cry every morning that I have to wake up 4:30 am to go in there. Sorry I just needed to get this out of my head! Thanks for listening :) Advice would be appreciated!

6 comments:

Analee said...

I say do the teaching thing, it's really not that much more schooling, and teaching is a job that is always going to be in high demand. Do it for a couple of years until you can go back and get a masters or a PA, it'll give you more time to think about what you really want to do and there is a secure job waiting on the other end.

The Calico Crew said...

If only I could be as smart as you. Why are kids three more years out? Being an educated mom isn't too bad is it? Of course, i wouldn't know (on the educated part). Good luck making a decision :)

Jessica and Justin said...

Nikell...funny story how i ran across your blog...friend of a friend thing. Anyway, my hubby is two semesters away from his bachelors in biology from dixie and he is in the EXACT same position as you are. I mean exact. Sorry I'm so help with the suggestions, but you should e-mail me @ jmyers1065@yahoo.com. You may remember me from many moons ago:) Oh-I'm glad to see you're doing well. -Jessica (Myers) Smith

Matt and Cori said...

Hey at least you have your degree, you should be proud of that no matter what. The economy is just bad right now for new grads, but eventually you will be able to use your degree. That's what I have to keep telling myself. You might have to just keep working somewhere you don't want to (like village) for a while, or if you do want a better paying job sooner, I agree with doing the teaching thing.

The Marvelous Mrs. Miller said...

Hi Nikell! I saw your blog on Kims. You poor girl, you are going through a very intense time. You are smart to look at all of your options. =) My advice, Prayer & fasting. Never fails! Good Luck & let me know if I can help. = )

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I don't like not knowing the future either. All I can say is that everything will work out. Heavenly Father has a plan for you. Just keep praying. :)