Monday, August 24, 2009

mind purge



hi, today i am going to purge all these thoughts i am having out of my mind. because for some reason it makes me feel better to say them "out loud" on my blog! so i know this is the last thing i should be worried about lately with a baby coming any day, but it has been on my mind a ton lately, and that is going to physician assistant school. i have the degree i need and i have taken all the prerequisite classes to apply, i just need to build up some health care experience hours. so here is a list of pros and cons i have made of going to PA school....
PROS
-make a lot of money!
-have a job i love
-get to help people
-will be able to afford a house someday!
-can work part time to be with my kids while they are little
-can help provide a better future for my family
-i have wanted to go into the medical field since high school
-i am already 5/7 of the way there. why stop now???
-never have to work a job i hate for minimum wage
-never EVER have to consider working at village inn again!
-i can make use of the degree i spent five years getting
-takes only one year longer to be a pa than a teacher (which i am also considering) but for 5 times the money!

CONS
-have a lot of student loans to pay off
-have to move away from family for 2 years
-won't have a lot of time for my baby while i study all the time and am in class all day
-i am a commitment phobe and once you start something like that you are in it for the long haul... would i ever be sure i was making the right choice???
-school will be hard! a challenge for once!

looks like i have got lots to think about! but for now i am just trying to focus on getting my precious little baby here! and i just want to do whatever is best for her and me and ashton! (the best husband in the world by the way) i just need to figure out what that best thing is! thanks for listening :)

4 comments:

The Calico Crew said...

I noticed you didn't ask for advise...I mean what's with that? Anyway, Let me just say as a mother of three...I wish I would have gotten more schooling when I had just one. I would love to go back to school and be in the hygiene program but with the more kids we add to our family, the more I put off the school thought. Sure it would be tough to do but the thought of making more money and spending more time at home sounds awfully tempting--at least it does to me! :) Good luck thinking!

Jessica said...

I am also giving unasked for advice... don't do teaching!!! You can't ever go part-time, and if you do you have no benefits, plus the pay isn't very good (speaking from experience).
I looked at becoming a PA, but limited myself on what was in St. George. (I do regret that now.)
Two years isn't very long to be away, AND speaking as someone who went to school full-time with a newborn... it is tough, but better now than later. They don't remember until they are 2-3 years old.
I'm sure you will come to a good decision on your own, but seriously unless you LOVE TEACHING it stinks. Everyone I know who LOVES teaching, still hates it.

The Marvelous Mrs. Miller said...

Nikell we miss you in our ward! I think you would be an amazing PA. You are such a smart girl, only you know what is best for you & your family.
I hope everything works out for you! Let me know when you have Sophie! = )

Matt and Cori said...

Nikell, you have such a gift and talent with how smart you are...use it! You said it in your post that it would provide a better future for your family and I really think the pro's outweigh the con's. You would make a great PA. Look at it this way...the next few years are going to come and go no matter what, but why not use those next few years to do something like PA school. And you'll find it's not as bad as you think being away from family. It'll be nice for you, Ashton, and baby Sophie to have that away time to bond as a little family of your own. And you learn so much about yourself and just life in general being away from what you have known and what you've been used to and comfortable with for the past 23 years.