Monday, March 8, 2010

Decisions... decisions...

So... Lately I have been considering teaching again. The whole PA thing is not panning out too well for me, and I want to be able to spend more time with Sophie.. I love LOVE Science, as I am sure you are all aware, and I would love to give kids the opportunity to love it too! Anyway, Dixie has a Secondary Ed program that is a year and a half long. It would cost me approximatley $4,000 to do this. I also could probably get FAFSA to pay for most of it. However the thought of going back to Dixie and taking 1010 classes with a bunch of Freshman does not thrill me AT ALL. Plus, who is gonna watch Sophie? So I have been talking to the Univesity of Pheonix to see about online teaching programs. They have a Master's Degree in secondary education that I could do all online, and get it faster than I could at Dixie. Perfect, I'll just do my work here at home while Sophie is asleep! And I'll have a Masters rather than just a teaching certificate from Dixie. This means my pay as a teacher would be a lot more each year!!! So I'm thinking, "this is great! I am totally doing this!" So how much does something like this cost???...... 20,000$!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! I could definitetly apply for student loans and get them, but could I find a job to pay them back??? FAFSA doesn't give grants for Master's Degrees, so that's out. I just don't think that's gonna work out for me... I better get ready to take some classes at Dixie with all the Freshmen skanks... hahahahhaha sorry Freshmen, I'm joking, but maybe anyone who has attended Dixie will understand. I just have too much pride for 1010 classes. I know, I'm wierd. Decision making time.

4 comments:

Analee said...

I would look into SUU and commute. It'll cost a little more than Dixie, but they are so good to work with. you could probably get your secondary in a year if you include a summer semester in that. The ed department up there likes to get their students out teaching as quick as they can. Plus they are nationally accredited and Dixie isn't, which would make getting a teaching license outside of Utah easier to do. It's another thing to look into I guess. They also have a daycare on campus (at least they did when I was there) that's really cheap and the director is amazing!

Matt and Cori said...

You are funny. Is there any other online schools besides University of Pheonix that would offer the same program but for cheaper? Those master degree raises are defitely worth it. I think you'd be glad in the long run that you did a masters instead. Plus, it just seems to make more sense to go on and get a masters instead of another bachelors, since you already have one. That's just my opinion though. Also, my student loans are through UHEA, unfortunately I have a lot :( but I haven't actually gone into repayment yet because I have requested a deferment because I'm not officially working full time in my degree. They are good about stuff like that. And they give you like 10 years to pay back so your monthly payments aren't too bad. I just always think something like that is worth going into debt for.

The Talbot Family said...

I would only invest the time and money into it if you really feel like you will be teaching as soon as you graduate. A teaching license is something that you have to renew often, and if you aren't going to use it right away, then you might as well wait. I am not going back to teaching next year, and because of that, there is a big chance I will have to retake a lot of my college courses because my license isn't a permanent license. Instead, I will work torward my master's when I am ready to teach again. Just a few more decisions to think about. Good luck!

Alli Willard said...

i totally understand. Ive been wanting to go back and get my bachelors. But i have to retake some of my generals... and well.. I haven't been able to because of the fact that i'm so OLD. whatever you do, good luck! and i think it will be worth it in the long run to go back