Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Equinox

READ STORY BELOW FIRST, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT ABOVE THE PICTURES!
SOPHIE IS SUCH A GOOD SPORT :) ARE THEY TIRED?
THE SUN'S ABOUT TO RISE!
THE SUN SHINING THROUGH THE HOLE!
KINDA HARD TO TELL BUT CAN YOU SEE IT HITTING THE TARGET ON THAT LITTLE PEAK?
A FURTHER AWAY VIEW, YOU CAN KINDA SEE THE LITTLE PEAK LIT UP...

So, it's no secret that I am easily amused by wierd things, but I just think this story is AWESOME! Ashton's family has been telling me about this equinox thing they have heard of for a long time, and we didn't really know if it was real or not. But here's the story

At a certain location, and I'm not gonna tell you where because I want it all to myself!! :) on the Spring Equinox the sun shines through a hole in a rock and the sunbeam hits an indian petroglyph target on another rock exactly at sunrise. That's how the Indians knew when Spring began so they could plant their crops.

So to see if this was true or not, Ashton, Sophie, Eric, Laurel, and I woke up at 6:30 am on the equinox so we could drive out to this top secret location to see if it was true. It took about 45 minutes to get out there and we hiked to the spot and waited for sunrise to see what would happen. I was skeptical, but lo and behold it actually happened! It wasn't this dramatic sunbeam that I was picturing, but sure enough the sun shone through the hole and lit up the target! Indians were so smart, I wonder if they made the hole so they would know, or if it just happened to already work that way. Anyway, I thought it was magical haha. I am making a tradition to go back every year, but next time I'm bringing donuts and hot chocolate!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Ooooh, that's cool!!